The Tillage of Beaminster
In a natural valley in West Dorset, Beaminster is a small town with all the charm of a village so I’d call it tillage. With several pubs, eateries, boutique outlets, coffee shops, a butchers, a bakers and a green grocers you’ve got everything you need within a five minute walk of the cottage. Enveloped by four of Dorset’s highest peaks the surrounding countryside provides some of the finest views in the country. If you like the great outdoors, there are many amazing walks right on your doorstep.
Don’t fancy walking?
If you want to take in the beautiful scenery without the walk, you can book a day to explore with Beaminster’s Donkey Walking Adventures or UKLlamas. This provides chance to explore and includes a few refreshment stops and keep the kids entertained at the same time.
There is a shop just 60 seconds from the cottage. If you want a wider range of choice just walk to Beaminster Square which is around five minutes away and you will find everything you need. The closest supermarket is Morrisons in Bridport which is about a 15 minutes drive.
In Beaminster square you will find:
- Butchers – Nick Tett (I can recommend the Beaminster bangers).
- Fruit n Two Veg shop
- Pet shop
- Hardware store
- Gift shops
- Several coffee shops
There are two cash points in the town centre, one at 9 The Square and one inside the Coop.
There are several pubs near the house, all of which welcome dogs;
- The Knapp Inn, Clay Lane (two minute walk)
- The Red Lion, 14 The Square, Beaminster (five minute walk)
- The Greyhound, 11 The Square, Beaminster (five minute walk)
- Brassica Restaurant, 4 The Square, Beaminster – 01308 538100 (no dogs allowed)
- The Steak Out, 6 Hogshill Street, Beaminster – 01308-863285 (dogs welcome with prior notice)
Don’t fancy cooking? Grab a takeaway
They’re all within a five minute walk – sadly they don’t deliver
- Chinese – Amei, 5 Prout Hill, Beaminster DT8 3AY – 01308 862000
- Fish and chips – Kingfisher Takeaway, 3-5 North Street DT8 3DZ – 01308 863103
- Indian (also eat in) – Bombay Spice, 26 Hogshill Street, Beaminster DT8 3AA – 01308-861024
- The Steak Out (also eat in) – 6 Hogshill Street, Beaminster DT8 3AE – 01308-863285. They also offer takeaway chips for £1 and on Sunday a takeaway roast.